5 Ways to Stop Those Annoying Spam Calls
We’ve all been there – you pick up the phone, only to be bombarded with a sales pitch or an automated message. It’s annoying, and it can feel like there’s no way to stop it. Fortunately, there are a few things you can do to fight back against spam calls. In this blog post, we’ll explore 5 of them. From using call blocker apps to reporting spam calls to the FCC, we’ll cover everything you need to know to put an end to those pesky nuisance calls.
The Problem With Spam Calls
There are a few reasons why spam calls are so annoying. For one, they interrupt our day and can be very disruptive. Additionally, many of these calls are made by automated robots, which can make it difficult to understand what they’re saying. Finally, these calls often try to sell us something that we don’t want or need. This can be frustrating and cause us to waste our time.
1. Use Call Blocker Apps
If you’re sick of getting spam calls, there are a few things you can do to stop them. One option is to use a call blocker app. These apps work by blocking unwanted calls from reaching your phone. They can also help to identify and block numbers that are known to be associated with spam callers.
There are a number of different call blocker apps available, so it’s worth doing some research to find one that suits your needs. Some popular options include Truecaller, Hiya, and Mr. Number. Once you’ve installed a call blocker app, you should start seeing a reduction in the number of spam calls you receive.
2. Register Your Number With The National Do Not Call Registry
The National Do Not Call Registry is a free service that you can use to stop telemarketers from calling your home phone number. To register your number, go to the National Do Not Call Registry website and click on the “Register your phone number” link. You will need to provide your name, address, and phone number. Once you have registered your information, you will be able to add up to three phone numbers to the registry. Telemarketers are required by law to stop calling numbers that are on the registry.
3. Screen Your Calls
There are a few things you can do to screen your calls and stop the annoyance. The first thing you can do is to simply not answer calls from numbers you don’t recognize. If a number keeps calling you and leaving voicemails, chances are it’s a spam call. You can also block numbers on your phone so that they can’t get through to you.
Another way to screen your calls is to use a call blocker app. These apps will allow you to block specific numbers or even entire categories of numbers that are known for spamming (like robocalls). Some of these apps even have features that will allow you to report spam calls, which can help others who are getting them as well.
Finally, you can always just pick up the phone and say “hello?” before giving away any personal information. If the person on the other end is a telemarketer or robocaller, they will usually hang up right away. So while it may not stop all spam calls, it’s a good way to screen them out.
4. Don’t Answer Calls From Unfamiliar Numbers
If you don’t recognize the number, don’t answer. Let it go to voicemail. If it’s a legitimate call, they will leave a message. You can always call back if you want to. This is the best way to avoid spam calls.
5. Hang Up On Robocalls
Robocalls are automated phone calls that often deliver prerecorded sales or marketing messages. They’ve become increasingly common in recent years, and they can be very annoying.
There are a few things you can do to reduce the number of robocalls you receive:
– Add your number to the National Do Not Call Registry: This will stop most telemarketers from calling you. You can sign up online or by calling 1-888-382-1222 from the phone you want to register.
– Don’t answer calls from unknown numbers: If you don’t recognize the number, don’t answer. If it’s a robocall, they’ll leave a message.
– Hang up immediately if it’s a robocall: Don’t waste your time speaking to someone who’s just going to try to sell you something. Just hang up as soon as you realize it’s a robocall.
When To Answer A Call From An Unfamiliar Number?
1. If you receive a call from an unfamiliar number, you may be tempted to answer it. However, it is important to remember that spam callers often use spoofed numbers to trick people into answering their calls. If you do answer a call from an unfamiliar number, be sure to use caution.
2. Be suspicious of caller ID spoofing. This is when a caller changes the information that appears on your caller ID display in order to disguise their identity. Caller ID spoofing is often used by scammers and telemarketers in order to trick people into answering their calls.
3. If the caller claims to be from a legitimate organization, such as a government agency or a company you do business with, ask for their name and contact information so you can call them back. Do not give out any personal information or money unless you are absolutely sure you are dealing with a legitimate organization.
4. Hang up if the caller asks for personal information or money upfront. No legitimate organization will ever ask for personal information or money without first verifying who you are.
5. Trust your gut instinct. If something about the call feels off, it probably is. Do not hesitate to hang up if you feel like something is not right about the call or the caller’s intentions
How To Report A Spam Call
If you receive a spam call, the best thing to do is report it. This will help to stop the call from coming through to your phone again. Here’s how to report a spam call:
– On your iPhone, open the Phone app and go to the Recent Calls tab.
– Find the number that you want to report and tap on it.
– Scroll down and tap Block this Caller.
– Tap Block Contact.
On Android, there are a few different ways that you can block numbers:
– You can use Google Voice by going into your Settings and selecting Blocked Numbers.
– You can install an app like Mr. Number, which will give you more control over blocking numbers and also allow you to report them.
– Finally, you can contact your carrier directly and ask them to block the number for you.
If you receive a spam calls on your landline, you can also report it by calling 1-888-382-1222. This is the National Do Not Call Registry, which is maintained by the Federal Trade Commission. When you call this number, you will be asked for the phone number that received the spam call as well as the date and time of the call.